Our Childhood Favourite is Back – and Better Than Ever
Whether you know them by Rice Krispie treats or LCMs – these sticky, crunchy and admittedly, moreish bars always go down a treat. (Fun Fact: LCM bars don’t actually stand for anything, it’s just a name that caught on and Kellog’s has stuck with it!)
Our spin on these puffed nuggets ensure they are high in protein and made of only whole ingredients – so you and the family can enjoy it without any nutritional sacrifices.
What are Rice Krispie Treats?
Originally, Rice Krispie Treats are bars of puffed rice held together by melted marshmallows and butter. Compacted into a tin and then left in the fridge to set – they are then cut into what New Zealanders know as LCM bars.
Sticky, sweet and unfortunately – more of a treat versus a nourishing snack.
Pro You Protein Rice Krispie Treats on the other hand are sticky and sweet but use puffed rice, Pro You Vanilla Whey Protein Blend, honey or maple syrup, coconut oil and Fix and Fogg’s peanut butter. Using only whole, unrefined ingredients that taste better than their marshmallow counterparts. These serve well in the lunch box and as an afternoon pick-me-up.
Let’s not forget – they’re super simple to make! Simply heat the honey, PB and oil, mix with the dry ingredients and press into a tin and you’re done! No bake, no mess, no stress.
- This recipe is gluten free – just make sure you pick out GF certified Ricies.
- Peanut allergy? Sub out for almond butter – it’s also delicious!
- Vegans can sub out honey for maple or brown rice syrup.
- If you can find brown puffed rice – feel free to use these. We found these ones and thought they were great.
- Feel free to use a mixture of honey and maple syrup – personally we thought it was more delicious than just honey or maple syrup alone.
- We used Fix and Fogg’s Super Crunchy PB in this recipe – the extra crunchy was great – feel free to use any nut butter of your choice though!
- While these are delicious on their own, you can also drizzle dark chocolate or nut butter on top…
Healthy Homemade Protein Rice Krispie Treats
- 4 cups of Puffed rice cereal
- 40g of Vanilla Whey Protein Blend
- 1/4 cup Nut butter
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp honey and/or maple syrup
- In a small pot or saucepan, heat together your nut butter, coconut oil and honey/maple syrup until combined
- Let cool slightly
- Mix together protein powder and puffed rice
- Add melted sticky mixture to puffed rice until the Ricies are evenly coated*
- Press firmly into a square tin, compacting with another tin on top or the bottom of a glass
- Leave in fridge for 1 hour before cutting into bars
- Optional: Drizzle with dark chocolate and/or nut butter
They won’t last long, however keep in a sealed container in the fridge.
*if you find your mixture is still a bit dry, add another spoonful of maple syrup (easier to mix in than thick honey)